Monday, August 30, 2010

When restless...I bake.


I have so many things to do tonight for work, home, kids, etc,  But - I want to take a baked treat into the office tomorrow.  I try to this every once in awhile.  I truly enjoy doing this for my office - a simple thank you and acknowledgement that my co-employees are appreciated.  Added benefits for me (1) have a perfect way to try a new recipe and get feedback.  (2) I can have a few of the treats I make and not feel guilty.  If I was to eat all of what I make - YIKES!  I have a friend - yes you Elizabeth - who is making cookies for her office tomorrow and this inspire me to whip up something quick. 

Pineapple Dream Bars (From 101 More Things to Do With a Cake Mix book)

Bars:
1 White or Yellow Cake Mix
1/2 Cup Butter or Margarine, Melted
1 Egg

Filling:
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
2 Tbs Sugar
2 Tbs Milk
1 Tsp Vanilla
1 Egg
1 Can (8 ounces) Crushed Pineapple
1 -1 1/2 Cup Coconut

Glaze:
3/4 Cup Powdered Sugar
1/4 Tsp Vanilla
3 - 4 Tsp Milk

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  With a spoon, mix cake batter, butter and egg together.  Press into lightly greased 9 x 13 inch pan.

Beat cream cheese, sugar, milk, vanilla and egg together in a separate bowl until smooth.  Stir in well-drained pineapple.  Spread evenly over dough.  Sprinkle coconut over top.  Bake 25 - 30 minutes or until coconut is light golden brown.  Cool completely. 

Mix powdered sugar, vanilla and milk together in a small bowl.  Drizzle glaze evenly over cooled dessert.  Refrigerate for at least 2 hours and cut into bars.  Store in refrigerator.

1 comment:

  1. I boast that I have a kitchen because it came with the house. If I start using it, JohnChames will have to clean it!!! But, this sounds good.I'll let you know how the office takes to the cookies tomorrow. David Dobo is on vacation so he won't get any.

    ReplyDelete